Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Fruit

Our first fruit of the season arrived today from one of our custom crush client vineyards. Luckily ours will be another week. It's a relatively early harvest, which generally does not bode well for a high quality vintage, but only time can tell. (The longer the fruit can stay on the vine, the better chance it has to develop more complex characteristics.)
The winemakers toasted the newly arriving grapes with vintage Champagne, and I made my way to the sorting table to take a closer look. Four hours later, after having tasted, squished, held, and thrown the fruit, I left, covered in a sticky mess of their sugars, with a smile on my face. My introduction to harvest was complete, and true to the region and reputation, Pinot Noir ruled the day.

No comments: